Laundry Room Update: Adding Character with Old Doors
I’ll be honest. When my husband showed me these doors I really couldn’t see how they were going to work for our laundry room renovation. They looked like something I would have wanted to get rid of. But I could at least appreciate the fact that it was one less thing we would have to spend money on. They came from an old home that’s being renovated and they were covered in at least 17 layers of paint. Not kidding.
I didn’t even know where to begin. They just sat in the garage for the longest. I spent a lot of time on Pinterest desperately trying to find some inspiration that would motivate me to get started.
But I was struggling. Fortunately for me, my husband got tired of the doors just hanging out in the basement. So he jumped in and took over.
He started by soaking them with Strypeeze.
Then he used a power drill with a wire brush attachment to remove the paint. It looks like this and you can get it here. I never knew it was a thing.
Leave it to my husband to save the day. It took a while but eventually he was able to remove it all. So you can imagine the look on his face when I told him I wanted to paint them.
He was not amused. But then I realized how much character all that texture would add to the laundry room. When he finished removing the paint from the insets he stained them with Minwax stain in Dark Walnut to give them a rich, dark finish.
While I love how rustic they looked I also wanted to clean them up. So I used Amy Howard One Step paint in Bauhaus Buff to brighten up the painted areas of the doors.
Why did I wait so long to try this paint?! It’s freaking awesome. I went back to Ace Hardware a week later and picked it up in two more colors. That’s how much I love it. I don’t even know what I’m going to use it on yet but it’s definitely a new favorite.
This is a side-by-side of what the doors look like before and after the paint. The door on the left is unpainted and the door on the right has three coats of Amy Howard One Step paint. I loved the contrast with the stain but still wanted to add a patina. So I used a foam brush to dab small drops of paint over the stain and wiped over it with a soft cloth. You can see that on the door on the right.
We’ve come a long way with this room. The doors, which will hide the washer and dryer, are the last project for this space. Check out the before and after of the room so far.
All I have to do now is finish up the other door and find some cool hinges so we can install them. Ebay seems like the place to get those, but let me know if you have any other suggestions.